Preparing your Charlottesville Basement for Storms and Floods
Even though last week was Virginia Flood Awareness Week (March 8-14), the spring season is just starting. That means spring storms in our Albemarle County area with massive rain amounts and the “F”-word…We’re talking about “Flooding” here. Flooding in Central Virginia can happen swiftly, so it is best to be prepared. Unfortunately, flooding manifests itself in lower regions first, such as our basements.
Basement Preparation tips:
- Maintain and clean sump pump on a regular basis
- Check for a battery backup; Sump pumps can fail when there is a power loss
- Consider a generator for additional backup power.
- Elevate furniture, electrical components, valuables, and contents off floor to higher surfaces
- Use plastic storage containers instead of cardboard boxes to store items in basement
- Pay Attention to Flood Alerts
- ERP Emergency Ready Profile
For more information on flood preparedness, click here
For flood and water damage tips, click here.
SERVPRO of Charlottesville is an IICRC Certified Firm with the training, expertise, equipment, and national resources for large storm and flooding events. This is why “We are Faster to any size disaster.”
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 434-977-5850