What Is Black Mold?
As your local cleanup and restoration company, SERVPRO of Charlottesville has dealt with plenty of water damage and black mold situations. And you will never see black mold without a source of moisture or a water damage of some kind.
It is important to get the facts concerning Stachybotrys chartarum, or black mold, in order to dispel any confusion over the perceived “toxicity”.
Stachybotrys chartarum does produce allergens and irritants to some people. But, many other types of mold can produce allergens and irritants, as well.
Treat any mold with caution:
- stay out of affected areas
- don’t touch, disturb, or direct fans on the mold. This will release the spores and spread the mold.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Charlottesville immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (434) 977-5850
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Charlottesville is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- North Garden
- Free Union