What Can I Do to Prevent Frozen Pipes in my Charlottesville Home?
Freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on plumbing systems if precautions are not made to prevent the pipes from freezing. Our team in Charlottesville responds to water damage emergencies caused by frozen pipes every year in Grand Rapids, and we offer these tips for preventing frozen pipes from the Red Cross:
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up and out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you are going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, and set it to a temperature, not below 55° Fahrenheit
Call Us Today!
When you have frozen pipes or any other type of water damage emergency in your home or commercial business, our team in Charlottesville is Here to Help.® Call us today at 434-977-5850.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.